April 24, 2008

Thanks!

The months of March and April were a blur of making art, hanging art, and going to openings. Not that I'm complaining at all - I live for this sort of thing.

Thanks to everyone who came out to the McGill Sexual Assault Centre's show on sexual assault and gender-based violence at Brutopia, and thanks EVEN MORE to the organizers, who worked really hard to put this on and did a great job. 'Fire and Water' is up at Brutopia until May 15th.


It was very exciting to see Hot Topic up in a different place, curated in a different way. 20 portraits went up for the show, featuring people like Dorothy Allison and Leslie Feinberg whose works deal specifically with sexual assault and gender-based violence.


Along with the work that's up for the duration of the show, the Sexual Assault Centre also had these pieces at the opening. They were done by high school students taking part in a workshop about sexual assault, and I have to say, with absolute honesty, that they're some of my favourite works in the show! I don't know what to tell you, I can't get enough of them. I want to hang out every day with the brilliant teenager who decided to put little pink panties on the Calvin Klein man. Heart it!


No comments: